Monday, March 4, 2013

How To: Create Your Own Shoe Display!


We all have that corner of our bedroom or closet that is entirely empty and we don't know what to do with it. We try to put a chair there, a laundry basket, and soon enough it turns into a clutter corner (this is usually a place in your house where you have no idea what to do with and ends up collecting what seems to be every nick knack without a home until it's a pile that is outlandishly unpleasing to the eye)
Awhile back in the midst of decorating my room I was on Pinterest (Because realistically I spend way too much time on here browsing for inspiration...) and I was looking through some pictures of shoe displays, and my first instinct was to clear off my shelf and make one myself!

There are about a hundred different ways you could achieve this, but I wanted to keep it pretty simple to match the rest of my bedroom decor. I took an old bookcase (I painted it white) and set it up in the corner of my room.
Depending on the amount of shoes you have, you can put however many pairs that will fit on each shelf (Being a bit of a shoe-collector, I easily fit about four or five pairs of my top favorites, the rest I had to keep in my closet for lack of room.)
I didn't want to have a book shelf full of random shoes in my room with no purpose, so I tried to make it more fashionable and decorative, making  a separate shelf for purses, and boxes of some of my favorite shoes, or perfumes (Vince Camuto, BCBG, Juicy Couture)



This is what my shoe display looks like in my room next to my vanity and make-up organization.





This is the first two shelves: For the very top  I used two shoe boxes and semi-random Juicy Couture perfume box.







For the second shelf I used my Vince Camuto's and BCBG Shoes and I wanted something to add a little decoration, so I used four Juicy Couture perfume boxes from Holiday collections.

For the next shelf I used all of my favorite handbags (Juicy Couture, Marc Fisher and lots and lots of Steve Madden!) For Christmas I got a box of every travel size Victoria's Secret perfume and I thought fit perfectly here. I paired it with a polka dotted box (also from VS, originally used as a box for an iPad cover)


Here are the next two rows of shoes. I tried to categorize them. The one on top is my "Wild Prints" a.k.a some of my favorite shoes for when I need to add a little bit more to a basic outfit, and the bottom is my "Girly Chic" row, which speaks for itself.



Here are my top 3 favorites in my display!














I can get a little bit obsessed with bold prints, which I why these are on my top three favorites shoes I currently own!



Hot Pink is my all time favorite color,  and in person these shoes are much more florescent and eye-catching, which is why I love them. If it were possible to be in love with a pair of shoes, I would choose these!





I am equally as obsessed with Nude's, and the golden detail on these had be smitten before I even left the department store!  Every girl needs to have a pair of nude heels. It is a simple must.




A shoe display can take up quite a bit of room, and when I lived in my apartment in the big city, I didn't a lot of space! I lived with two other girls and it was difficult to find space for all of my stuff! Here is a good alternative to the large bookshelf display:





Here was my room in my old Apartment. I thought it was a little bit crowded at first, but then I was addicted to the "full" feeling that it gave my bedroom, and it seemed a lot more cozy!



Here is a close up view. Later on I ended up taking out the books on the bottom shelf and adding another pair of heels, converting it over entirely to a shoe display. The smaller bookshelf is perfect if you only have a few pairs of heels, or if you live in a small apartment and don't have room for a large bookshelf. I accessorized the top with my favorite candles, the Bobbi Brown books, and my favorite perfumes.


Creating my shoe display was pretty easy to do, and I had so fun organizing it all, and I am always switching it up when I get bored with it, or if I buy a new pair I switch them out. It's the best way to add something extra to your room. Who would have thought shoes could be used for more than a fashion accessory? 

<3mykel

No comments:

Post a Comment